ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The Google India Code to Learn Contest (the “Contest”) is designed to encourage eligible Indian school students (“Entrant(s)” or “You”) to exhibit their creativity using Scratch or App Inventor programming tools in creating interactive stories, animations, games, music, art creations and applications.
There are online videos, tutorials and other helpful links posted on the Contest website which the Entrants can make use of; to learn and enhance their skills prior to submission of a project for the Contest.
Judges will choose the winning entries, and prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules (the “Rules”).
The Contest registration begins on 25-April-2017. The opening date for receipt of project submissions by Google from participants is 1-June-2017 and the closing date for receipt of entries and project submissions by Google is 31-July-2017, 11:59 pm (IST).
Only one project submission per Entrant is allowed. In the case of duplicate or multiple project submissions from the same Entrant, then the first project submission submitted online on the Contest website will be accepted as the entry into the Contest.
At the time of submission of the project, each Entrant must: (i) be an Indian citizen (e.g., must be able to show proof of legal permanent residence, if asked for); (ii) be enrolled in an Indian School; (iii) have obtained his or her parents’,legal guardians’ and/or teachers’ prior permission and have agreed to be bound by these Rules.
The Entrant by registering for the Contest agrees to receive communications in the form of emails from Google. An Entrant who has opted-in, may at any time unsubscribe from receiving such emails by accessing the link given at the bottom of the contest website and also given in the footer of the emails.
Employees, interns, contractors, and official office-holders, as well as their immediate families, of Google, its affiliates, and any representatives or agencies of Google or other persons professionally connected with the Contest are not eligible to participate.
An Entrant registering for the Contest and submitting his project must ensure that they fill in both the Registration and Submission Forms and meet the following requirements described below.
Google is not responsible for incorrectly submitted entries made online. Entries received without a completed Registration Form or Submission Form without a parent’s,legal guardian’s or school teacher’s consent will be disqualified.
7. PROJECT SUBMISSION PROCESS: To submit a Project, all relevant project files must be uploaded into a Google Drive folder by the respective parent/legal guardian/school teacher on behalf of the entrant. The said folder must then be shared with the email ID email@example.com. After that the Submission Form given on the contest website must be filled with all requested details including the link to the shared folder containing the project files.
LIMIT ONE (1) PROJECT SUBMISSION PER ENTRANT. Subsequent entries/ project submissions will be disqualified. To be considered for the Contest, entries must be: (i) complete (as determined by Google); (ii) received by 31-July-2017.
Not original, copied or submission made by others on your behalf will be disqualified. Google accepts no responsibility for submissions lost, delayed or mislaid, howsoever caused. All submissions will be deemed made by the Entrant submitted at the time of entry.
8. PROJECT SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS. The Project submission must meet the following criteria:
(a) They must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libelous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, tortuous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Contest.
(b) They must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable national, state, or local laws and regulations.
(c) They must not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
(d) They must be original, unpublished works that does not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity.
(e) They cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights.
(f) The project submission is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
(g) The Entrant does not include any disparaging remarks, content relating to the Sponsor or a third party.
(h) During the Contest Period, the Sponsor, its agents and/or the Judges (defined below) will be evaluating the submissions to ensure that they meet the Contest Requirements. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who submits a project that does not meet the Contest Requirements. Incomplete entries or entries not complying with these Rules are subject to disqualification.
9. JUDGING: Each project submission will be evaluated and scored based on the following “Criteria”:
Submissions will be divided into three (3) groups in Standards 5 to 10 divided in the following groups (i) Standard 5-6 (ii) Standard 7-8 and (iii) Standard 9-10, each a "Standard Group".
A group of thirty (30) Entrants (10 from each Standard Group) will be shortlisted by the panel of judges, based on project submissions which the judges think are the best representations, fulfilling the judging criteria outlined above.The thirty (30) shortlisted Entrants will be called Finalists and will be notified directly on or after 30-September-2017.
Out of the Finalists 9 Winners will be selected (3 from each Standard Group) who will be notified on or after 15-October-2017 who will be deemed Winners and will be entitled to receive certificate of achievement and tablet or an equivalent gadget approximately worth INR 30,000/-. For selection of Winners, the Finalists might be subject to an in-person presentation or telephone or video interview under parental/legal guardian and/or school teacher’s supervision.
Tie-breaker: In the event of a tie at any level of judging, the judges will re-evaluate the tied submission according to the Criteria until the tie is broken.
Decisions of the judges are final and binding. In the event there are not enough eligible entries, not all prizes will be awarded. If a potential winner is unable for whatever reason to accept his or her prize, then Google reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant.
Notification of Finalists and Winners: Becoming a finalist is subject to validation and verification of eligibility and compliance with all the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules. If a potential finalist or winner is disqualified for any reason, the project submission that received the next highest total score will be chosen as the potential finalist or winner. The potential finalist(s) and winner(s) will be selected and notified by telephone and/or email, at Sponsor’s discretion. If a potential finalist/winner does not respond to the notification attempt within three (3) days from the first notification attempt, then such potential finalist/winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential finalist/winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received based on the judging Criteria described herein.
10. PRIZES: Acceptance of the prize is subject to permission from a parent/legal guardian/School Teacher. The nine (9) Final Winners (3 from each Standard Group) will receive a certificate of achievement and a tablet or an equivalent gadget approximately worth INR 30,000/-. In addition to this submissions may be displayed on the Contest website at Google’s discretion.
There is no cash alternative and the prizes must be taken as offered. Google reserves the right to substitute prize(s) of an equivalent value should the Contest prizes become unavailable for any reason. If any winner is not able for whatever reason to accept their prize then Google reserves the right to award the prize to the next best entry, as judged by the panel.
Any prize(s) that remain unclaimed at the end of thirty (30) days from the announcement of the final results will be awarded to the next best entry(ies), as judged by the panel.
Google does not assume any responsibility for any products and services offered under the Contest. The products and services are provided solely by the relevant vendors, under such Rules as determined by such vendors, and Google accepts no liability whatsoever in connection with such products and services. The products and services have not been certified by Google and under no circumstances shall the inclusion of any product or service in the Contest be construed as an endorsement or recommendation of such product or service by Google.
Except for warranties and conditions implied by law which cannot be excluded, Google makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the quality or suitability of any prizes awarded under these Rules. Certain legislation may imply conditions or warranties which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified except to a limited extent. In this event, to the extent permitted by law, Google's liability is limited to, at its option: (i) the replacement of the prize or the supply of an equivalent prize; or (ii) the payment, if it does not contravene any law, of the cost of the replacement or supply.
11. TAXES: AWARDS OF PRIZES TO POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO GOOGLE ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY GOOGLE TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE TAX LAWS. REPORTING ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES GOOGLE IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. In order to receive a prize, potential winners must submit tax documentation requested by Google or otherwise required by applicable law, to Google or a representative for Google or the relevant tax authority, all as determined by applicable law. The potential winner and finalists, and their parents,legal guardians or school teachers, are responsible for ensuring that they comply with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements. If a potential winner fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Google may, in its sole discretion, select an alternate potential winner.
12. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All national, state and local laws and regulations apply. Google reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Contest if, in Google’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Google, or the Judges.
13. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between Google and the Entrant, the Entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in their project submission. As a condition of entry, Entrant grants Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display the project submission for any purpose, including display on the Google website, without any attribution or compensation to Entrant.
15. PUBLICITY. By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Contest as reasonably requested by Google at Google’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Google. Google will contact Entrants in advance of any Google-sponsored media request for interviews. The project submissions may also be used for promotional, marketing, press and media purposes and Entrant agrees to waive any rights and not assert any intellectual property rights that Entrant has or may have in the project submission. Google reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of the Entrants with the top 9 scores, the Finalists and the Winners on the Contest Site or through other media for publicity purposes.
16. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants warrant that their project submission are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the project submitted and that they have the right to submit the project in the Contest and grant all required licenses. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any project that: (a) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade names, industrial designs, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (b) otherwise violates applicable state, federal, or local law.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from: (i) any project submission or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) any misrepresentation made by Entrant in connection with the Contest; (iii) any non-compliance by Entrant with these Rules; (iv) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to Entrant’s involvement with the Contest; (v) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in the Contest; (vi) any malfunction or other problem with the Contest Site in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant; (vii) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry or voting information in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant and in the voting process by consumers; or (viii) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant.
17. ELIMINATION. Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Contest.
18. INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER. Google is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed projects due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Contest Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit Entrant’s/consumer’s ability to participate/vote respectively. Google is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent Entrant from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Contest. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an Entrant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest.
19. RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Google reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Google further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site. Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Google reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
20. NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Project into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Google, or the Contest Entities. Entrants acknowledge that they submitted their project voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between Entrant and Google or the Contest Entities and that no such relationship is established by Entrant’s submission of a project under these Rules.
21. FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: This Contest is governed by the laws of India, and the courts in Bangalore will have exclusive jurisdiction to try any dispute arising from this Contest. By participating in this Contest, you agree to be bound by the terms of these Rules and by Google’s decisions, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and Entrants expressly waive any and all such rights.